The owner of a compact netbook with no enhancements can not perform disk read / write operations. An external USB drive, designed specifically for netbooks, will solve the problem. But how to distinguish between good and bad products? The test below will help answer this question.
Netbook is an easy-to-use device. It’s mobile, but it’s not possible to work with disks. Good old drive reduce the size difference between netbooks and laptops. Developers take care of simple users. The market began to appear USB drive, not only light and thin, but also available to ordinary people on the streets.
We recognize that USB Drive to store data, can also save documents, music photos etc. various videos. Small and practical because there is another side of this.
External USB Drive for Testing
Table of Contents
Almost all the devices that came into view have compact drive that are used in laptops. They are characterized by low energy costs. Two types of devices were tested:
- CD / DVD-drive. Required to work with CD and DVD discs. Price categories are not high, but the number of devices on the market is very large. Seven models of such devices are considered.
- USB Blu-ray-drive. The capacity of Blu-ray discs is much larger than their DVD and CD counterparts. Single-layer can contain up to 23 GB of data, and two-layer – 46 GB. Blu-ray drive can also work with CD / DVD drive. Because of this, the price of the devices is much higher. Three Blu-ray drive were tested.
Drive Connection Method
Connection to devices ( stationary PCs , netbooks , laptops ), provides a USB 2.0 interface. Only the Sony drive uses a power supply. The rest of the experimental is enough power from the device. This is a big plus if the user does not have access to the mains. The accumulator of laptops and netbooks in that case is quite enough to work with disks.
External USB drive have much more power consumption than other devices. Therefore, the majority of tested have as many as two USB plugs. If you decide to buy a drive, make sure you have two closely located USB connectors.
The devices that passed the test are equipped with a disk read / write program. Blu-ray models have special software for reading and playing discs. For ordinary users, this may come in handy, Windows is not yet provided with such programs.
You should carefully monitor the burning speed. The maximum speed setting is undesirable, since it is possible to increase the write errors. This is especially true for low-cost drive. If you reduce the speed – you have to spend more time, but as a result you will get a quality record.
The second point is stability. During disk operations, it is worthwhile to ensure maximum peace to the drive. Thin devices are very sensitive to external stimuli (vibration, tremors). This is especially noticeable during the recording. Reading disks, even with small occasional interrupts, will not do much harm to the user.
CD / DVD Emulator
The optical drive will allow you to install software from disk to device . However, many programs can request an original disc, which is not always convenient to carry with you. The emulator is the savior. In this case, the data from the disk is simply stored in the computer’s memory.
Emulators Alcohol 52% (free) and 120% (paid)
The CD / DVD emulator allows you to load disk images into special virtual drive. After that, they can be used as well as conventional drive. There are a lot of programs for creating images now. Most popular: Nero, Alcohol, Daemon Tools.
Problem USB Blu-ray Recorder
Do not try to play Blu-ray discs on a netbook. Programs that are attached to the drive on the devices will not be useful. Playing such discs will require a large amount of resources from the computer. They are needed to output images with good resolution. For a normal display, you need a Core processor of at least 1.8 GHz, as well as a powerful graphics card. Intel Atom netbook technology does not currently have the necessary capabilities.
USB Requires Update
External Blu-ray recorders have six times the speed of reading and writing. In this they are not inferior to the drive of laptops.
The speed limit for the USB cable is 35 MB / s. Now for external devices this is enough. However, for larger models, USB 3.0 is more often used.
The devices provide eight times the write speed and easily work at the limit of the capabilities of its predecessor.
Consider the best models of the test:
External Blu-ray recorder LG BP06LU10
The model was pleased with the quality and stability. The drive recorded discs that were read on all the test drive. This allowed Blu-ray-Drive from LG to bypass rivals.
- Long burned. It took a lot of patience. When recording a 25 GB blank, it took 26 minutes. For a drive of 50 GB it took 51 minutes. Competitors were not less slow. However, large amounts of data justify the device. The limit of perfection has not yet been achieved, drive in stationary PCs work much faster.
- Write without errors. LG CD / DVD-drive allowed a minimum of errors when recording at all speeds.
- Edit video files. Virtually all participants in the test had full software. The LG model was no exception. Together with her there are programs for recording discs, watching Blu-ray, and editing video.
Back to the table of contents
External DVD Recorder Plextor PX-L611U
The drive works quickly. He took 11 minutes to burn a DVD-disc. He coped with the CD in 5 minutes. Although it still does not reach the speed of embedded devices, but it’s not far from them.
- Quick burn. The quality of the recording had no competitors. Errors on the disks were practically not detected. Even with repeated overwriting, the number of errors was significantly lower than the standard.
- Compact software. All necessary software is placed on a CD-ROM. A program is used to read and write discs from Nero.
- Noisy device. Virtually all drive of this type produce a distinct noise. The device is most noisy when copying files and burning discs. Viewing the movie from the disk noise does not interfere too much.
- The issue of protection. The only device of the test, which includes a cover for protection.
External recording DVD-drive Lite-On ENAU608
USB CD / DVD drive has fantastic speed settings. Single-layer DVDs were recorded only 11 minutes, and two-layer DVDs in 26 minutes. A lot of mistakes were not made. The problem arose when reading. About a fifth of the test models could not reproduce the disks. A low number of errors allows recording at high speed.
- Silence. Noise when copying and writing files is not annoying. When watching movies from DVD, it is not noticeable at all.
- Decent quality at a normal price.
Let’s sum up the results
Winning among the USB-drive Blu-ray has won the drive LG BP06LU10 . Its speed turned out to be maximum, and the record turned out to be of high quality.
The best USB DVD drive is the Plextor PX-L611U . Excellent recording quality and high speed allowed to overtake competitors in the category.