If your computer does not turn on, this may be a sign of serious damage. However, do not be in a hurry, let’s look at the situation and understand what needs to be done. And we divide our actions into 10 clear steps:
10 steps, what you need to do if the computer does not turn on
1. Do not panic and do not make unnecessary movements. In this situation, the main thing is not to do extra, that is not to worsen the situation. For example, you can burn something in a PC; break it (the same start button), “knock down” the operating system, etc. Therefore, if you notice that the computer does not respond to pressing a button, stop and think whether everything is included, what you (or anyone else) did with the computer before. Whether the electricity is stable, is there any difference? Then proceed to the following points.
2. Check the power supply of the system unit and monitor. First of all, check the power of the computer, maybe the cord is not properly inserted into the outlet or into the system unit itself. Try disconnecting / connecting it and restarting the computer. If you use a surge protector as an extension cable, check that it is plugged into the wall outlet and if the light on the switch is lit. Defective may be the extension cable itself or one of its outlets, for this purpose connects the system unit directly or use another network filter. Pay attention to the power supply: on modern models they place an additional button that is responsible for turning on or turning off the computer, so switch the button to a different position and try to turn on your PC again. Also pay attention to the monitor cable, if it has moved.
3. Does not turn on or start? Decide on the wording! If the computer does not turn on, it means that it does not make noise, the indicators on the system unit do not turn on and the monitor does not give “signs of life”. The phrase “the computer does not start” should be understood as the operation of the computer, however without loading the operating system. If your PC does not start, you will hear the operation of the fans from the system unit; observe the flashing of the display and indicators on the system unit. As a rule, the cursor will blink on the screen. You can also hear a squeak (of different sound length and frequency, what they mean and how to distinguish them, we’ll talk at the end of the article).
4. Check the processor and hard drive. Now open the cover of the computer’s system unit and check the processor. For this we recommend removing the cooler that is on the processor. Then press the start button and hold your hand on the radiator, if it starts to heat up, then the processor is working and there is hardly a reason in it. Naturally, the cooler it should spin; otherwise the system will again “complain” of overheating and, most likely, quickly turn off the PC in order to avoid the combustion of the processor. Check also all fastenings. A hard disk is another device that may not allow the system to start-up, so all connectors must be firmly inserted into their connectors. Also you can read our article on how to properly install a hard disk in a PC.
5. Perform a full computer cleaning. On our team MasterServis24.RU we have already mentioned about cleaning the PC: ” 8 secrets, how to clean the laptop yourself “, ” The best ways to clean the computer from dust “, so you can study this process in more detail. In our context, cleaning is useful because accumulated dust can cause bad heat transfer, as a result of which the computer does not start because the processor (or other accessory) has overheated. Clean the computer parts very carefully, but carefully, focusing on the motherboard, hard drive, RAM and processor.
6. Replace the power supply. If none of the above does not help, and you still try to solve the problem yourself, then we recommend you try using another power supply. To do this, you can ask him for a while from friends, or contact a computer store. The system unit can be brought with you and tested immediately. After all, it is often the power unit that causes the PC to work. Breakage of the power supply unit is usually caused by voltage jumps, heavy load (updated accessories, and the power supply – forgotten) or irregular cleaning. However, do not forget that you need to choose the power supply correctly!
7. Replace the memory (or clean its contacts). Failure of the computer to work for some can be caused due to a malfunction of RAM (RAM). Most often it is polluted by dust. It is quite easy to clean it – remove the card from the connector, take the usual clerical eraser and go through them one by one on the other side. Movements should be the same as you erase from the paper lines drawn in a pencil. You do not need to clean the system unit above the garbage can or the newspaper, as the pieces of the eraser with dust will be poured. Also blow (vacuum) and the nest itself, which always sits dust, thus worsening contact.
8. Reinstall the operating system. If the computer simply does not start (the cursor flashes on the black screen or the Windows startup screen saver is hanging, etc.), then the system can be reinstalled. However, note that in this case all the information stored on the C drive (including the desktop) will be deleted. We already wrote about how to install Windows 7 , Windows 8 and even Ubuntu (Linux distribution), so in these articles you will find detailed instructions on how to install them. Also, you might need an article on how to properly burn a Windows image to disk so that the OS can be installed via the BIOS.
9. Try replacing the computer with a warranty. If the previously listed actions are self-frightening, and the computer was purchased quite recently (provided that the warranty period of the computer has not expired), then you can ask for help in the same store where you purchased your PC. If the warranty stickers have not yet been disrupted, you will be pleased to help: send your PC to a service center for inspection and appropriate technical assistance. The drawback of this method is that you will almost have a month without a PC. Also, if you collected the computer yourself (in parts), then the warranty does not apply to the entire system unit, but only to its specific components.
10. Take the computer to a service center for repairs. This will be the most reasonable option in this situation. Yes, you will have to pay for the work of a specialist who will conduct diagnostics, clean the PC and solve the problem. But the computer will work. In addition, you will save a considerable amount of time, which you can spend much more wisely than just looking for the cause of the breakdown of some device from the set. Trusting your computer is better than a proven service, which has a lot of positive reviews on the Internet or in life.
What to do if the computer does not turn on and it’s on
Squeaking (permanent or short-term) is in any case a bad signal and most likely a breakdown of any part in the computer. Risks are different; because each signal reports a specific problem, let’s look at this:
- If you heard at the beginning of the start of the computer 1 short beep – this means the successful launch of components and the PC as a whole.
- If two are short, then look for a problem in the monitor, most likely, it simply is not connected.
- Hearing one long signal and seeing an empty screen – look for problems in the video system.
- Three long squeaks or 1 long and 1 short signal about problems with the motherboard.
- If there is a problem in the video card, the system will give either 1 long and 2 short squeaks, or 1 long and 3 short ones.
- If the fault lies in the power supply (as is often the case), the system can signal in three different ways: 1) many short signals; 2) continuous long; 3) the absence of any squeak (+ the computer does not start).
That’s all you need to know in order to correctly react in case your computer does not turn on or start the operating system boot.